This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0809 / 53°4'51"N
Longitude: -2.8801 / 2°52'48"W
OS Eastings: 341142
OS Northings: 354106
OS Grid: SJ411541
Mapcode National: GBR 7B.9WDG
Mapcode Global: WH88T.QTQG
Entry Name: Gates, Gate-piers and Railings at W entrance to churchyard at Parish Church of St Chad
Listing Date: 17 July 1996
Last Amended: 17 July 1996
Source ID: 16961
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated to the E side of Church Green, set back from the road at main entrance to churchyard. Attached red brick walls border path down to west door of Church.
Built-Up Area: Holt
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Gates and railings to Parish Church bear the stamp 'WREXHAM 1816'. At that time there was a foundry in Tuttle Street, Wrexham worked by Jones, Lacon and Jones and they may well have been responsible for these gates and railings. The gates stand on the site of the old lych gate.
Gothic style, squared gate piers contain quatrefoils with floral centre detailing. The piers are surmounted by later lamps. 2 end piers of similar style, that to right is finished with a cast iron urn. Railings contain friezes containing quatrefoil detailing with decorative baluster heads. Similar detail to gates including quatrefoil lock and dog bars.
Listed as an interesting example of local decorative ironwork and for group value with the Parish Church of St Chad.
Other nearby listed buildings