History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Jones monument in NE part of churchyard of parish church

A Grade II Listed Building in Cilycwm, Carmarthenshire

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.0448 / 52°2'41"N

Longitude: -3.8192 / 3°49'8"W

OS Eastings: 275336

OS Northings: 240051

OS Grid: SN753400

Mapcode National: GBR Y3.F9BN

Mapcode Global: VH4H7.RVBT

Entry Name: Jones monument in NE part of churchyard of parish church

Listing Date: 29 November 1995

Last Amended: 29 November 1995

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 16968

Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary

Location: Situated towards upper edge of churchyard N of chancel

County: Carmarthenshire

Community: Cilycwm

Traditional County: Carmarthenshire

Find accommodation in
Cilycwm

History

Pedestal monument with urn to Jones family of Blaen-nos, bankers in Llandovery, probably c 1840, signed by David Beynon, sculptor, of Cilycwm, born 1810.

Exterior

Tall tapering square-plan monument in grey and buff stone. Tapered base with top moulding, large tapered pedestal with framed plaques on all sides, heavily moulded cornice and large circular urn on square base with vase stem, gadrooned underside, recessed plain band, cup-rim, then guilloche moulded band and curved cap, probably missing a finial. On W side inscriptions to Ann, wife of David Jones, (d1820), David Jones (d1840), John Jones (d1844). N side inscription to John Jones, banker, (d1812) aged 25, Evan Jones (d1819) and Mary, widow of John Jones (d1844). E side inscription to Rev Morgan Jones (d1827).

Reasons for Listing

A prominent churchyard memorial in neo-classical style.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • I Church of St Michael
    Situated on E side of village street, in centre of village.
  • II Glandwr
    Situated in village on S side of Ship St, to W of Y Bont.
  • II Y Bont
    Situated in village, at E end of S side of Ship St, by bridge.
  • II Lychgate to parish walls
    Situated on W side of village street, in line with W door of church.
  • II Yr Ysgoldy Fach
    Situated just E of Cilycwm church, with access from churchyard, facing E over river.
  • II Bryngwenlais
    Situated on N side of Ship Street, attached to E of No 2 Corner House.
  • II Ty Cornel
    Situated on E side of village street, on N corner of Ship Street, the lane running E.
  • II Ty Cornel
    Situated on E side of village street, on N corner of Ship Street, the lane running E

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.