This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0445 / 52°2'40"N
Longitude: -3.8198 / 3°49'11"W
OS Eastings: 275289
OS Northings: 240017
OS Grid: SN752400
Mapcode National: GBR Y3.F959
Mapcode Global: VH4H7.QWZ2
Entry Name: The Old Post Office
Listing Date: 29 November 1995
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 16971
Building Class: Communications
Location: Situated on W side of village street, opposite Neuadd Fawr Arms.
Community: Cilycwm (Cil-y-cwm)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Early to mid C19 house, and cottage to left. On the 1843 Tithe Map only the cottage appears to be built, though there was a building fronting onto Heol y Groes, then known as Plough House. The cottage was called part of Plough House. However in 1832 David Edwards devised to his daughter " the house that joins the pine end of the Mason's Arms" and "the dwellinghouse called the Mason's Arms with the brewhouse, stable and all gardens.." to his son. These appear to be the cottage and Old Post Office. Plough House appears to have been an ale-house, a grocer's shop in 1861 and later the Post Office.
Whitewashed rubble stone with slate roofs, and three stacks, rendered each end of old Post Office, C20 large square brick stack to left of cottage (shared with Ty Mawr). Two-storey, 3-window range to Old Post Office, timber cross-windows with stone voussoirs and keystones, similar head to centre half-glazed door. Ground floor left has good C19 shop front of door with overlight, aligned with window above, and window to left of 9 large panes. Iron railing in front of window. Rear has projection to left, centre door and 4-pane window above, lean-to to right. Llyswen has grey washed walls, similar voussoirs and keystones to door to right and one-window range of 5-pane horned sashes to left. Rear brick 2-storey lean-to addition.
Included for group value with Neuadd Fawr Arms and Cwm House.
Other nearby listed buildings