This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0445 / 52°2'40"N
Longitude: -3.8203 / 3°49'13"W
OS Eastings: 275254
OS Northings: 240023
OS Grid: SN752400
Mapcode National: GBR Y3.F90W
Mapcode Global: VH4H7.QWP1
Entry Name: Capel Y Groes
Listing Date: 29 November 1995
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 16973
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on W side of village street, behind Cwm House and reached by Heol y Groes lane between Cwm House and Old Post Office.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
1859-60 Independent Chapel, built for £320
Colourwashed rubble stone with low-pitched slate eaves roof, and fretted bargeboards. Simple Gothic style with gable front. Three centre pointed windows, the middle one broader and taller, over tall pointed doorway flanked by pointed windows smaller than centre window but larger than its flanking lights. Windows are 2-light with thick Y centre mullion, and heads of each light have Y glazing bars except on narrower flanking windows of centre triplet. Stone voussoirs and stone sills. Doorway has paired 2-panel doors and pointed overlight with intersecting glazing bars. Gable date plaque "Capel Y Groes 1859". Three-window sides with similar pointed windows, but brick heads.
Three-sided boarded ceiling. Single gallery at entry end, on one painted iron column. Stair up on S side. Classical detail to gallery front, brackets, guttae and long and short panels. Clock inscribed with opening date March 8th 1860. Very low painted pews with panelled backs. Simple Gothic panelled pulpit.
Chapel front court is enclosed by colourwashed rubble walls incurving each side of S iron gates.
Included as a representative example of an unaltered Gothic chapel of 1860.
Other nearby listed buildings