This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0461 / 52°2'46"N
Longitude: -3.8066 / 3°48'23"W
OS Eastings: 276203
OS Northings: 240176
OS Grid: SN762401
Mapcode National: GBR Y4.F6FH
Mapcode Global: VH4H7.YTZT
Entry Name: Capel Soar
Listing Date: 29 November 1995
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 16984
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated about 1 km E of Cilycwm village.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
1836 Calvinistic Methodist chapel altered in later C19, one of the earliest founded in Carmarthenshire. Datestone from second chapel 1740 and 1786, third chapel 1836 is possibly the core of the present chapel, altered 1859 and 1876. There is some confusion over the 1740 date, as deeds date from 1746. Trefecca records of 1742 mention a small congregation. The inspiration for the foundation came from Daniel Rowlands who preached in area in 1738. Howell Harris preached on the road between Soar and Cilycwm in 1744. William Williams, Pantycelyn, and also his son, the Rev. John Williams were members.
Roughcast with stucco dressings and slate eaves roof. Early C20 ridge ventilator. Broad colourwashed gable front with bargeboards and finial. Plinth, rusticated quoins, two long narrow arch-headed windows with rusticated jambs and moulded arches, C20 glazing. C20 centre double doors, with Y-tracery fanlight and similar jambs and arch. Arches have corbel stops and keystones. Moulded course below gable and keyed roundel plaque in gable, "Trefnyddion Calfinaidd Adeiladwyd 1740, 1786, MDCCCXXXVI, Soar". Sides have similar single long window and rear has two long windows.
Three-sided gallery with curved corners, on 7 fluted columns with leaf capitals. Horizontal panels to gallery front and clock by J. Hopkins, Llandovery. Gallery front has painted graining in three different tones. Plain pulpit with steps up each side. Painted grained pews. Boarded panelled ceiling.
Included primarily for historical reasons as one of the earliest congregations in area, associated with Daniel Rowlands, Howell Harris and William Williams.
Other nearby listed buildings