This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0428 / 52°2'34"N
Longitude: -3.8196 / 3°49'10"W
OS Eastings: 275301
OS Northings: 239834
OS Grid: SN753398
Mapcode National: GBR Y3.FH6Z
Mapcode Global: VH4H7.RX3B
Entry Name: Cilycwm Primary School
Listing Date: 29 November 1995
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 16985
Building Class: Education
Location: Situated some 200m S of village, on E side of road.
Community: Cilycwm (Cil-y-cwm)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Built as the National School 1866-7, to designs by John Harries of Llandeilo, for the Rev. Thomas Matthews, vicar of Cilycwm
Rubble stone with slate roofs, and stone stacks. Flat stone-voussoir heads to all openings. North-facing, U-plan. School is L-plan single storey with side tower by NW wing, and at E end is 2-storey teacher's house. Main N front has gable each side and centre originally recessed but built-out in matching stone with flat roof. Small-paned 3-light window each side of door with overlight. NE, house, gable to left has attic and ground floor casement windows and W side-wall stack. Tudor-arched porch on E side in angle to similar E facing gable. NW schoolroom gable to right is steeper-pitched with tall flat-headed three-light window, and vent loop in gable. Added to right is W end lean-to with N end casement pair. Lean-to links to tower obscuring original external N door. Tower is square with saddle-back roof gabled N-S, ashlar loops in each gable. Chamfered band on W side, two loops and oval plaque, "Cilycwm Church of England School Thomas Matthews BD Vicar". Main school range, set back behind tower, has W gable 4-light mullion-and-transom window and three rear-wall 3-light plastic mullion-and-transom windows. Stone voussoir heads.
An unusually elaborate C19 village school retaining most of its character.
Other nearby listed buildings