This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0356 / 52°2'8"N
Longitude: -3.8107 / 3°48'38"W
OS Eastings: 275892
OS Northings: 239017
OS Grid: SN758390
Mapcode National: GBR Y3.FZ9T
Mapcode Global: VH4HF.W3T9
Entry Name: Abergwenlais House
Listing Date: 29 November 1995
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 16988
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated about 1km SSE of Cilycwm, approached by lane running E of road to Cilycwm some 500m N of Pont Newydd.
Community: Cilycwm (Cil-y-cwm)
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Later C18 to earlier C19 mill, house, and outbuildings on the Gwenlais river just above confluence with Towy. On the 1845 Tithe Map the mill is shown without the house and outbuildings, it was then owned by the Rev Daniel Prytherch Price of Abergwenlais. The mill has heavy cornerstones and could be late C18, though probably altered in C19, the house was probably added in mid C19 and the outbuildings in later C19. The Abergwenlais estate was sold to W. Campbell-Davys of Neuadd Fawr in 1856. The mill leat was ruined by flood in earlier C20 and mill was afterwards disused.
House, facing SE, has stone end stacks, larger to left. Two-storey, three-window range, irregularly spaced with broad left bay and the other two close-spaced. Hornless 12-pane sashes and half-glazed door. Stone voussoirs and slate sills. Single storey outbuilding to right with two windows in end wall. Rear is whitewashed with two first floor 12-pane sashes. Two C20 ground floor windows.
Mill ground floor has three heavy beams. Pine first floor beams. Fine roof trusses of arch-braced collar trusses with diagonal struts above collar. Bolted joints. In roof, massive timber horizontal shaft for hoist. Barn has later C19 roof with stapled collars, four bays.
A good mill group, with unusual roof structure to mill.
Other nearby listed buildings