This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0355 / 52°2'7"N
Longitude: -3.8104 / 3°48'37"W
OS Eastings: 275910
OS Northings: 238997
OS Grid: SN759389
Mapcode National: GBR Y3.FZDG
Mapcode Global: VH4HF.W3YG
Entry Name: Abergwenlais outbuildings
Listing Date: 29 November 1995
Last Amended: 29 November 1995
Source ID: 16990
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Situated about 1km SSE of Cilycwm, approached by lane running E of road to Cilycwm some 500m N of Pont Newydd.
Traditional County: Carmarthenshire
Later C18 to earlier C19 mill, house, and outbuildings on the Gwenlais river just above confluence with Towy. On the 1845 Tithe Map the mill is shown without the house and outbuildings, it was then owned by the Rev Daniel Prytherch Price of Abergwenlais. The mill has heavy cornerstones and could be late C18, though probably altered in C19, the house was probably added in mid C19 and the outbuildings in later C19. The Abergwenlais estate was sold to W. Campbell-Davys of Neuadd Fawr in 1856. The mill leat was ruined by flood in earlier C20 and mill was afterwards disused.
Outbuildings butt up to mill lean-to. Barn facing NE with single centre high door and stone voussoirs, loop each side and door to left with stone voussoirs, in angle to a short return range, facing NW, that appears to have been built first (cf rounded NW corner now within). One loft light under eaves, door to ground floor left and loop in angle to right. Plain stone rear with outshut. Rear of barn has one door with stone voussoirs to left.
Mill ground floor has three heavy beams. Pine first floor beams. Fine roof trusses of arch-braced collar trusses with diagonal struts above collar. Bolted joints. In roof, massive timber horizontal shaft for hoist. Barn has later C19 roof with stapled collars, four bays.
A good mill group, with unusual roof structure to mill.
Other nearby listed buildings