History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Agricultural ranges at Ty Du Farm

A Grade II Listed Building in Llansanffraid Glan Conwy, Conwy

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 53.2641 / 53°15'50"N

Longitude: -3.789 / 3°47'20"W

OS Eastings: 280774

OS Northings: 375617

OS Grid: SH807756

Mapcode National: GBR 1ZZP.HM

Mapcode Global: WH65B.R7X0

Entry Name: Agricultural ranges at Ty Du Farm

Listing Date: 9 December 1991

Last Amended: 5 January 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17029

Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence

Location: Facing the road approximately 1km SE of the village centre.

County: Conwy

Community: Llansanffraid Glan Conwy

Community: Llansanffraid Glan Conwy

Traditional County: Denbighshire

Find accommodation in
Llansantffraid Glan Conwy

History

Built in 1857 by Whitehall Dod (1823-1878), local estate owner. Said locally to have been built after fire destroyed the previous farm on site (hence name Ty Du, 'the black house').

Exterior

Agricultural ranges enclosing a courtyard immediately to the NE of the farmhouse, the SW corner open. Of red brick with slate roofs and dogstooth brickwork to eaves; N range of one-and-a-half storeys, the remainder single storey. The short W range has 2 camber-headed doorways facing the yard with a contemporary lean-to advanced to the L; similar entrance to its S face, boarded doors throughout. The N range has 2 wide, cambered openings with narrower, similar openings flanking them; 3 small cambered windows above with internal boarded shutters. To the R a flush barn section with similar wide and narrow entrances; geometric shaped ventilators of brick to rear. The E, cart shed range, has 3 open cambered arches facing W away from the yard where there is a cobbled pavement. Stepped down and set back slightly from this range to the R (S), a stable block with 2 entrances as before with stable doors; small window and vents face outwards. The S range adjoins at right-angles and has 3 wide, arched cart openings to the courtyard, the 2 western-most with later brick infill; rear cambered entrance with boarded door. Towards the W of this range an off-centre brick chimney with oversailing courses serves the former brewhouse.

Interior

3-bay N range with barn and hayloft above; king-post roof trusses with diagonal struts. Adjoining open barn to the R of 6 bays as before, with pulleys for machinery (now removed) against rear wall. This was formerly powered by a steam engine in a power room to L; flagged threshing floor. Sliding door in S wall through to E range. This has stalls and cobbled floor to the stable section. Oven and original fittings to former brewhouse and workshop.

Reasons for Listing

A good example of an intact mid C19 model farmstead.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.