This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.5615 / 51°33'41"N
Longitude: -3.0268 / 3°1'36"W
OS Eastings: 328916
OS Northings: 185237
OS Grid: ST289852
Mapcode National: GBR J4.DWXS
Mapcode Global: VH7BK.H06R
Entry Name: Former Laundry and Dairy to NE of Great Barn
Listing Date: 31 July 1996
Last Amended: 31 July 1996
Source ID: 17105
Building Class: Agriculture and Subsistence
Location: Set within the grounds of the Tredegar Comprehensive School, on the W boundary immediately to the NE of the Great Barn.
Community: Coedkernew (Coedcernyw)
Locality: Tredegar House
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Tredegar House was the seat of the Morgan family from the early C15 through to the mid C20. The surviving medieval house was incorporated into the South West wing of the much grander, classical house that was built between 1664 and 1672 by Sir William Morgan (d.1680). The Estate was self-sufficient throughout the C17- C20 and the Laundry and Dairy is shown on the Estate map of 1827 by William Jones.
Modernised, early C19 former laundry and dairy. Rendered elevations beneath slated, hipped roof. Central two storey, square block, stepped up and flanked by, in-line, symmetrical wings. S elevation has central doorway with round head and a single modern rectangular window set centrally within the W wing. Brick stack to ends of wings and single stack to central block. Three rectangular ventilators to ridges of E wing. Modern doorway at E end. N elevation, central block breaks forward of flanking wings with modern casement window to first floor and doorway beneath. E wing has two large modern casements, and W wing has further three windows.
Not available for inspection at time of resurvey, February 1996. Understood that the interior has been converted for use as a school chapel.
Included for group value with other listed ancillary buildings at Tredegar House.
Other nearby listed buildings