This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5611 / 51°33'39"N
Longitude: -3.0275 / 3°1'39"W
OS Eastings: 328868
OS Northings: 185192
OS Grid: ST288851
Mapcode National: GBR J4.DWQH
Mapcode Global: VH7BK.G1V2
Entry Name: Brewhouse
Listing Date: 31 July 1996
Last Amended: 31 July 1996
Source ID: 17106
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on the West side of the inner court, SE of Tredegar House. Aligned on NW/SE axis, immediately N of Bryans Building.
Community: Coedkernew (Coedcernyw)
Locality: Tredegar House
Built-Up Area: Newport
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
Tredegar House was the seat of the Morgan family from the early C15 through to the mid C20. The surviving medieval house was incorporated into the South West wing of the much grander, classical house that was built between 1664 and 1672 by Sir William Morgan (d.1680). The Estate was self-sufficient throughout the C17- C20 and the Brewhouse is shown on the Estate map of 1827 by William Jones. Possibly may have originated as the stables to the medieval house. Owned by Newport Borough Council since 1974 when it became open to the public and since converted to restaurant use.
Former brewhouse, C17 or earlier origins with substantial, later alterations. 'L' shaped plan. Elevations of random rubble with red-brick arches and quoins to window and door surrounds. Gentle batter to base of walls. Main range is aligned on a NW/SE axis, parallel to the Great Barn. Single, axial brick stack towards N end. Asymmetric fenestration to principal (NE) elevation; four, four-light timber casements with leaded lights to first floor with four, four-light windows to ground floor, doorway offset to S end, reached by a small flight of stone steps. S gable has four similar three-light windows offset to right, with a doorway at first and ground floor level to left hand side. First floor reached by modern steel staircase. Rear two storey, gabled wing projects to SW with a doorway to each end with three small round-headed windows to first floor, offset to left hand side. NW gable has modern, single-storey glazed porch with two similar leaded timber casements to ground floor, with centrally placed first floor window over. Above is a gabled, timber bellcote, carried on two timber gallows brackets which are supported on stone corbels.
Modernised and converted to restaurant use.
Included for group value, notwithstanding conversion, as an early ancillary building at the heart of the Tredegar estate complex.
Other nearby listed buildings