This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.6918 / 51°41'30"N
Longitude: -5.1173 / 5°7'2"W
OS Eastings: 184642
OS Northings: 203826
OS Grid: SM846038
Mapcode National: GBR G4.HG3V
Mapcode Global: VH1RX.8Q1Y
Entry Name: Thorne Island Fort
Listing Date: 26 January 1996
Last Amended: 26 January 1996
Source ID: 17169
Building Class: Defence
Location: Off N headland of West Angle Bay.
Locality: Thorne Island
Commenced in 1852 and completed in 1854, Thorne Island fort was intended as an outer defence to Milford Haven in conjunction with Dale Point. It was designed for a garrison of 100 men. Its battery initially consisted of 9 ML guns. The fort was purchased at auction in 1932 for conversion to a hotel and after one change of ownership it it still a hotel.
The battery occupies the highest ground at the W, behind a low papapet. To the rear is a parade ground about 5 m below the level of the battery, surrounded to the N, E and S by vaulted single-storey barracks and ancillary buildings. Water reservoirs beneath the parade ground for 30,000 gallons. The N range consisted of a cookhouse and officers' quarters. The E range consisted of other ranks' barracks, but with the entrance to the fort and guardroom at the centre. The guardroom occupied a small bastion. More officers' quarters in the S range. At the W of the S range was an armoury, protected by a solid half-round bastion built out from the exterior wall. These barracks ranges have fine brickwork groin vaulting.
The barracks ranges are flat roofed with access to an E and S facing parapet with apertures for small arms fire. A bridge gives access over a gap between the S and E ranges.
Limestone ashlar masonry generally with emphasised quoins. Large shallow string course of squared section at base of parapet. [Exterior windows not original.] Entrance at E with voussoir-arch including projecting keystone. Lettering on the arch. Side pilaster at entrance, with simple cornice. Reinforced outer entrance doors approx. 12 cm thick, running on floor-track. Inner entrance doors missing, also ran on floor-track.
Hammer-faced ashlar to front of barracks ranges facing the parade ground. Large shallow squared cornice with quarter-round moulding beneath. Six-pane sash windows. Granite staircases up to battery.
Listed as a well-preserved fort of Palmerston's Haven defences.
Other nearby listed buildings