This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0672 / 52°4'1"N
Longitude: -3.181 / 3°10'51"W
OS Eastings: 319137
OS Northings: 241635
OS Grid: SO191416
Mapcode National: GBR YY.CZJB
Mapcode Global: VH6BH.T95N
Entry Name: Vicarage House
Listing Date: 18 January 1996
Last Amended: 18 January 1996
Source ID: 17213
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located on rising ground facing S, with a driveway leading down to the junction of the Moity Road with the realigned A.438.
Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
The new vicarage to replace the medieval building was built c.1860-70 by the Revd. Thomas Williams, vicar 1859 - 1914, and a friend of the Revd Francis Kilvert, curate at the adjoining village of Clyro, who visited him here on various occasions.
Dressed local ashlar sandstone with margin-draughted stone dressings to S facade, rubble stone to other sides. Hipped slate roof. Two storeys and cellar, 3 bays, 'L'-plan, comprising a central stair hall, and flanking reception rooms, with dining room in a wing behind the right bay, extended by kitchen in slightly lower roofed bay. Tuscan portico with reeded pulvinated architrave, over a 5-panelled door set deep within panelled reveals. Sixteen-paned sash windows, with pronounced label mouldings over.
Not accessible at time of inspection, (August 1995). Windows have panelled shutters in splayed reveals.
Included as a well preserved parsonage house of the mid Victorian period, having historic associations with the diarist, Francis Kilvert.
Other nearby listed buildings