This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0569 / 52°3'24"N
Longitude: -3.198 / 3°11'52"W
OS Eastings: 317953
OS Northings: 240517
OS Grid: SO179405
Mapcode National: GBR YY.DFD0
Mapcode Global: VH6BH.JK5H
Entry Name: Gate piers, gates and screen to the E drive of Maesllwch Castle
Listing Date: 18 January 1996
Last Amended: 18 January 1996
Source ID: 17218
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located at a bend of the minor road leading off the Brecon to Hereford Road to Ffynnon Gynnydd.
Community: Glasbury (Y Clas-ar-wy)
Traditional County: Radnorshire
Built c.1830-40 by Robert Lugar in connection with his rebuilding of Maesllwch Castle for Walter Wilkins. The screen comprises central gatepiers, with iron railings on a low stone wall on either side, ending in terminal piers, the right side curved back to follow the road.
Gatepiers are of sandstone, octagonal, approximately 3.5m high, each with moulded base, all facets having cinquefoiled headed recessed panels, and moulded capital. The low walls are of rock-faced stone with weathered copings. carrying cast-iron railings having fleur-de-lys terminals, supported by similar stanchions with scrolled brackets to the rear. The rails rise to meet the central gatepiers. The terminal piers are also rock-faced, with chamfered corners, necking and moulded capitals.
The gates have double central rail, dog rails below and the rails arched below the top rail. Fleur-de-lys terminals.
Of group value with the East Lodge, and part of the designed scheme for the rebuilding of the Grade II castle.
Other nearby listed buildings