This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.8188 / 51°49'7"N
Longitude: -3.0306 / 3°1'50"W
OS Eastings: 329055
OS Northings: 213850
OS Grid: SO290138
Mapcode National: GBR F5.WLVG
Mapcode Global: VH796.FK53
Entry Name: Lychgate to New Cemetery
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17246
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Pedestrian entrance to east of the main drive entrance; set into the stepped rubble boundary wall along the narrow lane immediately to south of Usk Bridge.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Built-Up Area: Abergavenny
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
The eastern end of New Cemetery was opened in 1894 and is landscaped in the style of a Victorian public park or garden. The lychgate is presumed to be contemporary with the chapel and probablyalso designed by E A Johnson, architect of Abergavenny.
Gabled timber lychgate with slate roof and terracotta ridge tiling with finials. Arched-braced and with canted tie. Pair of set-back, wrought-iron, Gothic gates with quatrefoil bars. Either side rubble walls curve outwards with dressed stone coping beneath similarly Gothic-detailed railings; gable-capped piers at the point where these flanking walls join the stepped boundary wall.
Included for group value with the New Cemetery Chapel and the Gates and Gate-piers at the main entrance.
Abergavenny New Cemetery is included in the Register of Historic Parks and Gardens in Wales No PGW (Gt) 37.
Other nearby listed buildings