This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6965 / 51°41'47"N
Longitude: -4.888 / 4°53'16"W
OS Eastings: 200508
OS Northings: 203699
OS Grid: SN005036
Mapcode National: GBR G9.B8LN
Mapcode Global: VH1S1.7M8B
Entry Name: Funeral Car Tenement
Listing Date: 12 September 1996
Last Amended: 12 September 1996
Source ID: 17267
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: At the N side of the main village street in Cosheston, about 50 m E of the crossroads. It is in a walled enclosure with steel gates in front, hung on stone gatepiers with steeply weathered copings.
Town: Pembroke Dock
Locality: Cosheston Village
Built-Up Area: Cosheston
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Subscriptions were raised in 1895 for the construction of a tenement for the parish funeral car. Money was also donated by the Band of Hope and the funds were further augmented by the proceeds of a concert. From the receipts and expenditure account published at this time it appears a new funeral car was also purchased. From 1896 the building was vested in the Parish Council. The original cast-iron gates have been lost. The tenement was restored c.1980. In 1995 to mark its centenary it was again restored by the Community Council. It still houses the car.
A single-room building about 3 m by 4 m, with its gable and doors facing S to the village street. Stone walls, rendered and painted. Slate roof with restored bargeboards and finial. Boarded double doors at front with small glazed panels, under a slightly pointed segmental brick arch. A small plaque in the gable records that the building was funded by voluntary contributions.
Listed as a good, well-preserved example of a minor building type, remaining in its original use.
Other nearby listed buildings