This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.7075 / 51°42'26"N
Longitude: -4.9043 / 4°54'15"W
OS Eastings: 199434
OS Northings: 204964
OS Grid: SM994049
Mapcode National: GBR G8.TJBM
Mapcode Global: VH1S0.YB5W
Entry Name: Limekiln
Listing Date: 12 September 1996
Last Amended: 12 September 1996
Source ID: 17268
Building Class: Industrial
Location: 1 km NW of Cosheston Hall. It stands a short distance to the E side of Folly House, against higher ground to its E.
Town: Pembroke Dock
Locality: Folly House
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
This kiln is marked on the Tithe Map of 1840, on Cosheston Hall estate. The kiln was sited to take limestone and coal landed from the estuary. Above it is a level area with access ramps and some terracing of the land, where stone and fuel were evidently stored. The site was called Limekiln Green and occupied by George Bowling; later occupiers were named Phillips. It was disused by the end of the century.
The limekiln is semi-circular, about 6.5 m in diameter, and about 3.5 m in height. It is built of rubble local stone with neatly formed corbelled openings at the N and S sides. There are retaining walls extending from the kiln in wing form along the bank face. There are marks of a former shed over the S working hole and there was probably a shed over the N hole also, where there is presently a modern shed.
The interior of the kiln is about 2.8 m diameter and there are traces of a fireclay lining.
Listed as a well preserved early C19 estate limekiln.
Other nearby listed buildings