This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.5017 / 52°30'5"N
Longitude: -3.2581 / 3°15'29"W
OS Eastings: 314697
OS Northings: 290049
OS Grid: SO146900
Mapcode National: GBR 9V.HJHY
Mapcode Global: VH68B.GDY2
Entry Name: No 1, Old School House
Listing Date: 12 September 1996
Last Amended: 12 September 1996
Source ID: 17278
Building Class: Education
Location: Located prominently on the N side of The Square, at the village centre, and backing on to the churchyard.
Community: Kerry (Ceri)
Built-Up Area: Kerry
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The first school in Kerry was established in 1714 funded by the munificent will of Richard Jones of Black Hall. The present building was originally of 3 bays, erected c1810 and extended to the W in 1817.
Colourwashed brick with slate roof. Three storeys, 3 bays, the centre bay extended by a further bay wing to the rear. Entrance asymmetrical to the centre bay; a 6-panelled door in a recessed round-headed brick opening. Four-pane sashes to each floor in each bay, those to the second floor shorter, and matching blind window recesses between. The centre bay has a c1920 square bay window replacing the centre window. Brick dentilled eaves. Brick stack on the W gable and opposite the entrance. Rear wing has an added extension on the W, with an iron hall window. The W gable end is slate hung.
Interior not accessible at the time of inspection (January 1996).
Listed primarily for its group value with the church and Herbert Arms opposite, and for its prominent contribution to the conservation area at the centre of the village.
Other nearby listed buildings