This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6155 / 51°36'55"N
Longitude: -3.4484 / 3°26'54"W
OS Eastings: 299813
OS Northings: 191735
OS Grid: SS998917
Mapcode National: GBR HK.9KB4
Mapcode Global: VH6DH.5NTF
Entry Name: Pisgah Trefnyddion Calfinaidd (Chapel) including forecourt walls, railings and gates
Listing Date: 27 September 1996
Last Amended: 27 September 1996
Source ID: 17331
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated a little to N of town centre, on the main road of Pen-y-graig which leads to Tonypandy.
County: Rhondda Cynon Taff
Locality: Pen y Graig
Built-Up Area: Tonypandy
Traditional County: Glamorgan
Chapel built 1868 at a cost of £1000, daughter church to Dinas; Ebenezer Tonypandy also built 1867 has similar two tiered entrance and refurbished interior of later C19.
Of snecked rockfaced sandstone with ashlar dressings, artificial Welsh slate roof with ridge tiles. Three dimensional gable facade of 2 storeys and 3 window range with projecting gabled side bays joined to form a central entrance bay. Main gable has 3 round headed windows joined by a continuous hoodmould incorporating 3 keystones, the central window of 3 lights, all with small coloured glass quarries incorporating floral motifs; above is an inscription panel and below apex a keyed oculus; deep decorative eaves cornice surmounted by 3 orb finials supported by 3 decorative corbels. Each cross bay has a steep gable surmounted by a smaller orb finial, wide channelled side piers, tripartite coloured glass window with hoodmould and keystone, heavy moulded sill band and ashlar bands above; dedication panel below. Central bay comprises a pair of round arched ashlar doorways with heavily moulded arcaded parapet above, pair of double 10 panelled doors with overlights incorporating coloured glass motifs. Side elevation of rubble is 6 bays long with at gallery level round headed windows with 6/6 pane sashes with coloured glass overlight, square headed below; end left blocked to accommodate added entrance outshut. Rear attached to range of school buildings.
Two level forecourt comprising snecked rockfaced front boundary wall with red millstone grit coping, with 5 tall entrance and side piers with pyramidal capstones, 2 diverging flights of stone steps leading to walled entrance terrace. Two designs of iron railing - low interlinked roundels with deep finials to front, and taller fleur de lys uprights to gates and upper terrace. OS 1:25 map 1877 appears to show centre entrance and steps and edition of 1920 a terrace.
Vestibule with pair of coloured glass interior lights, polished woodwork, opposing staircases with decorative balusters, planked dado, mosaic floor. Four side raked gallery with pews of single lengths of wood is supported by 9 slender cast iron piers; very decorative front of different hued polished woods and plaster mouldings, the coving particularly delicately moulded with acanthus motif and stencilled soffit. Richly moulded platform with polished wood pulpit and set fawr intact, with above an organ by Norman and Beard 1906; coved ceiling of painted diagonal boards incorporating roses and ventilators. Rear wing houses vestry, Sunday School and library and retains planked dados, woodgrained 4 panelled doors and margin glazed sash windows; it incorporates the curved end wall of the chapel.
Listed for its interesting exterior facade and its fine interior.
Other nearby listed buildings