History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pentre House

A Grade II Listed Building in Churchstoke, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5218 / 52°31'18"N

Longitude: -3.0636 / 3°3'49"W

OS Eastings: 327928

OS Northings: 292083

OS Grid: SO279920

Mapcode National: GBR B3.GBD6

Mapcode Global: VH75P.VW74

Entry Name: Pentre House

Listing Date: 1 October 1996

Last Amended: 1 October 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17364

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located in the hamlet of Pentre, to the N of the B4385, near Pentre Farm.

County: Powys

Town: Montgomery

Community: Churchstoke (Yr Ystog)

Community: Churchstoke

Locality: Pentre

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Church Stoke

History

Gentrified front range of c 1800, possibly an addition to an earlier structure. Included on a plan of 1794, which showed land in the ownership of Sir Jukes Grenville Clifton Jukes.

Exterior

Well-detailed red brick front range with masonry range to rear which may be service area. 2 storeys. Slate roofs with broad overhanging eaves. 3-window front with projecting central bay. 9-pane sash windows to first floor and 12-pane sashes to ground floor, all under flat arched, finely gauged brick heads. Sandstone, Tuscan portico, comprising 4 columns and an entablature. Overlight above front door. 2 external stacks with paired, yellow brick shafts capped by sandstone blocks. Single storey, red brick range on W side with red brick end stack.

Interior

No access to the interior at time of inspection (May 1996).

Reasons for Listing

Listed as a fine well-detailed, gentrified house of c 1800 retaining its original character.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Pentre Mill
    Located on a track to the N of the B4385 in a slight hollow where a stream runs down the hillside to
  • II Pentre Hall
    Located along a track c 0.5km S of the B4385 in the hamlet of Pentre. The hall is situated amongst
  • II Milestone
    Located on the N side of the B 4385 in the grass verge
  • II The Meadows
    Located in low lying meadow land close to the River Camlad, accessed by a track leading off Wernddu
  • II The Old Courthouse
    On the S side of the B4385 at a staggered junction with a lane to Cwm and Wernddu Lane. The gable o
  • II Todleth House
    Located along a driveway to the N of the A489 with gardens to front and rear.
  • II Broadway House
    Located on the N side of the A489, in landscaped gardens with a pond to the W . Paddock and stables
  • II The Ivy House
    Situated on the A489 (S side), approximately 100m W of turning to Hyssington. Set back from the roa

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.