This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5135 / 52°30'48"N
Longitude: -3.1212 / 3°7'16"W
OS Eastings: 324008
OS Northings: 291219
OS Grid: SO240912
Mapcode National: GBR B1.GN7H
Mapcode Global: VH68D.V29Y
Entry Name: Pentrenant Hall
Listing Date: 1 October 1996
Last Amended: 1 October 1996
Source ID: 17366
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located in the hamlet of Pentrenant behind Pentrenant Farmhouse, and possibly replacing it as the primary residence. Approached by a driveway, at the end of which are ornate cast iron gate piers.
Community: Churchstoke (Yr Ystog)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Early C19. Shown on the Churchstoke tithe map of 1840 as house, offices etc. owned by William Morris. The hall was connected with the Morris family until 1917. It is also shown on a plan of 1832.
Small country house in Tudor-Gothic style. Complex picturesque massing of main block and service wing, articulating the internal planning in a series of separately gabled blocks. 2 storeys throughout. Coursed and squared rubble with ashlar dressings to main house; random rubble to service range, slate roofs throughout. Various axial and gable-end stacks, largely with grouped, shaped shafts, some with twist decoration. Entrance front faces W with service range comprising the right-hand part. Elevation of main house is a 3-window range including advanced coped gabled wing to right, with central entrance alongside it: Ashlar porch with 4-centred archway and embattled parapet, inner double doors, partially glazed. Left-hand bay (housing front reception room) emphasised by slight projecting gable housing windows, with prominent kneelers and finial to coped gable. Windows are all mullioned sashes with margin-light glazing, stressed surrounds, and drop-ended hood-moulds. Gabled return to N has similar fenestration, but with floor length window to ground floor. Gabled wing beyond (housing rear reception room_ also has similar fenestration in both its elevations, as does a further rear range at right angles to it. Service block is slightly recessed to the right of the main entrance and comprises a 2-window range (with parallel rear range) and advanced gabled wing; central secondary entrance and similar fenestration, but with painted stone dressings. There are outbuildings including a stable block, ice house and barns to the rear and a ha-ha to the front.
The front entrance leads into a hall with the 2 main reception rooms to the N, a corridor leading to the service area to the S and a staircase in the centre of the S side. The detail is characterised by doorways with panelled reveals, panelled doors, oak floors and Tudor arched openings. The main reception rooms have ribbed ceilings with open plaster work coving, one decorated with vine leaves and the other with gothic tracery. The dark wood staircase is under a ribbed, vaulted ceiling, and there is a stairlight comprising a wheel window with stained glass and a heraldic emblem.
Listed as a well-preserved early C19 country house, which, in its expressive massing and consistency of detail, represents a very good example of the domestic gothic style.
Other nearby listed buildings