History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Old Bank House (House to the North )

A Grade II Listed Building in Llanfair Caereinion, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.6487 / 52°38'55"N

Longitude: -3.3245 / 3°19'28"W

OS Eastings: 310488

OS Northings: 306483

OS Grid: SJ104064

Mapcode National: GBR 9S.664H

Mapcode Global: WH79L.XP2B

Entry Name: Old Bank House (House to the North )

Listing Date: 1 April 1996

Last Amended: 1 April 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17372

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Located at the S end of Bridge Street on the E side in a prominent position close to the Market Hall.

County: Powys

Community: Llanfair Caereinion

Community: Llanfair Caereinion

Locality: Lllanfair Caereinion

Built-Up Area: Llanfair Caereinion

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Llanfair Caereinion

Exterior

History: Built between 1830-1840 as a single house with an inserted shop front of c1900. Described as a hatter's shop on the Tithe Map apportionment. Visible in a photograph dated 1914 (Pryce, 1991, p78). Subsequently altered into shop with separate dwelling adjacent.

Exterior: Pair of houses of 3 storeys and cellars. Three window range. Yellow brickwork in Flemish bond with stone plinth and modillion eaves cornice. Slate roof with gable end yellow brick stacks. Dwelling to N has paired small-pane sash windows on upper floors (16-pane to first floor, 12-pane to second), with wedge lintels above first floor windows. Similar ground floor window to left of entrance, which has a 9 (though 3 are very small) panelled door with overlight in architrave with panelled reveals. The entablature continues across the shop front of Deri Dental Practice; this has paired windows, each divided into 6 panes, with panelled aprons and entrance to right (the door is a modern replacement). Small-paned tripartite sash window with wedge lintel above, and 12-pane sash in second storey, 2 x 12-pane sash windows with stressed quoins in rendered gable end.

Interior: Not accessible at time of inspection (September 1995).

Listed as a well preserved house with later shop front, in a prominent location with townscape and group value.

References: W.T.R. Pryce, The Photographer in Rural Wales, 1991, p78;
Tithe Map c1842.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.