This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.676 / 51°40'33"N
Longitude: -4.8832 / 4°52'59"W
OS Eastings: 200747
OS Northings: 201402
OS Grid: SN007014
Mapcode National: GBR G9.CHWS
Mapcode Global: VH1S7.94SJ
Entry Name: Old Coach House
Listing Date: 30 April 1996
Last Amended: 30 April 1996
Source ID: 17395
Building Class: Domestic
Location: At S of North Down Farmhouse, reached by lane N of A4139 and W of Lamphey village.
Community: Lamphey (Llandyfái)
Locality: North Down
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
Early or mid C19 coach-house and stables facing S. In 1834 North Down was a 'genteel residence' owned by Col. Kemm and occupied by Rev. J B Byers (Vicar of Lamphey 1824-67), and the coach-house may be of about this date.
The building, in late Georgian style, has a pedimented central bay slightly advanced. Rendered rubble limestone generally with ashlar quoins and other dressings. Elliptical arch with keystone over central coach entrance. Originally a stable at the left and a stable and loose-box at the right. Flat arches with keystones to doors. Outer doors very high. Square openings to the loft are aligned above doors. Roundel in the pediment. A low-pitched roof, hipped at each end [sheeted]. Outside stairs at the E end.
Now converted to a milking parlour, with loss of internal walls and stalls.
Included as a well -designed late Georgian estate building, rare in South Pembrokeshire.
Reference: Lewis, Topographical Dictionary of Wales (1834)
Other nearby listed buildings