This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.6308 / 52°37'50"N
Longitude: -3.3163 / 3°18'58"W
OS Eastings: 311005
OS Northings: 304481
OS Grid: SJ110044
Mapcode National: GBR 9S.786B
Mapcode Global: WH79T.142J
Entry Name: House adjoining Penarth Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 1 April 1996
Last Amended: 1 April 1996
Source ID: 17408
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Located 2km to the S of Llanfair Caereinion on a minor road, NE of Gibbett Hill. The Chapel has a narrow forecourt on the SE with cast iron railings and a central gate. The graveyard lies behind the
Community: Llanfair Caereinion
Community: Llanfair Caereinion
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
History: A stone set above the entrance records that the Chapel was originally built in 1789 for the Independent congregation, reworked in 1838, rebuilt in 1847 and restored in 1906 when the attached house was added or largely rebuilt.
Exterior: Colourwashed brickwork, later roughcasted, to the front of the house. Slate roof coverings throughout. The house is of hard red Ruabon type brick with one gable chimney stack and one central stack. The Chapel is rectangular in plan, with central entrance at the SE gable entering to the side of the Chapel room. Pair of doors with 4-paned overlight, set in a fluted doorcase and panelled reveal, replacing an earlier blocked door to the left. Six 3-light windows with pointed lights in SW elevation, the spandrels having flashed glass. The two central windows are larger with double transoms and are set at mid height flanking the pulpit internally. Two of the smaller windows are beneath the eaves with the other 2 below them to create a symmetrical facade. The attached house to the NW is of 2 storeys, with 2 unit plan. Added porch over a later door against wall of the Chapel, and a second, boarded door near the NW end. Paned timber windows.
Interior: All apparently of 1906, but the gallery structure may be of 1847. Walls plastered. Panelled ceiling with diagonally set boarding, and ceiling vents at the intersection of the panel ribs. Pulpit is set high against a panelled and gabled back board central between the windows on the SW wall, and is cantilevered, with a balustraded front. Brass gas lights with globes on the front corners. Sedd fawr below also has close-set balustrading on the top of the enclosing panelling. The body of the Chapel has raked seating, the pews numbered 1 - 27, and the gallery, on 3 sides, has pews numbered 28 - 45; it is splayed at the angles, has a panelled front and is carried on 7 cast iron tapered columns.
Listed as a well-preserved country chapel with a fine interior of the early C20 and with its adjoining Minister's house.
Other nearby listed buildings