This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.1017 / 53°6'6"N
Longitude: -2.945 / 2°56'42"W
OS Eastings: 336824
OS Northings: 356472
OS Grid: SJ368564
Mapcode National: GBR 77.8R3G
Mapcode Global: WH88S.Q9TJ
Entry Name: Trevalyn Hospital (formerly known as Trevalyn House)
Listing Date: 18 October 1996
Last Amended: 18 October 1996
Source ID: 17466
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Located off a private drive from Manor Lane which joins the B 5445 Chester Road at the Alyn Bridge. Set within an important garden and pleasure grounds including associated structures.
Community: Rossett (Yr Orsedd)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
C18 house begun in 1754, architect unknown. Later extensions include bays to ground floor front elevation, and extension to the east and north, all circa 1890-1900 when in the ownership of the Townsend family. Conversion to Hospital post-1945 has entailed some internal division, extensive additions to the western side, and light infilling of central section of principle facade.
Three storeys, red brick with stone dressings, pitched slate roof hidden behind rendered parapet. Rusticated stone quoins, plinth and cornice. Twelve-pane sliding sash windows to projecting end bays of main facade, nine-pane to top floor with six to central section, all with stone heads marked with voussoirs. Original front stone door-frame with consoled cornice to architrave has had Roman Doric portico added later and subsequently enclosed by new glazed extension approx. 1960's. Some c1900 rainwater goods.
Entrance hall has c1900 inglenook fireplace in classical revival style. To the left is a fine c1900 staircase with turned balusters and foliated carving to cut-string. To rear bedroom is a fine Adam Revival white and yellow marble fireplace with decorative cast-iron firebacks. Elsewhere much original carpentry and Edwardian plaster work to ceilings.
Listed as a mid-C18 small country-house which, notwithstanding conversion, retains good internal detail.
Other nearby listed buildings