This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.102 / 53°6'7"N
Longitude: -2.9447 / 2°56'41"W
OS Eastings: 336844
OS Northings: 356510
OS Grid: SJ368565
Mapcode National: GBR 77.8R5J
Mapcode Global: WH88S.Q9Y7
Entry Name: Former Stable-block to NE of Trevalyn Hospital
Listing Date: 18 October 1996
Last Amended: 18 October 1996
Source ID: 17467
Building Class: Health and Welfare
Location: Located to the south-east of Trevalyn Hall and to the north-east of Trevalyn House, reached by a private drive from Manor Lane.
Community: Rossett (Yr Orsedd)
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built as the stable block to Trevalyn House of 1754 with which it is probably contemporary though Hubbard argues for early Victorian.
Two storey, red-brick with stone dressings, under a pitched slate roof. In plan an open courtyard with walled and (later) gated entrance to the west. South block was the coach and stable accomodation with large stone dressed arched openings with a single keystone to first storey and alternating small thermal windows with three keystones to the second storey. Storeys are delineated by a wide stone string course. The central block, to the east, is of three bays with the central bay projecting into the cobbled courtyard and surmounted by an open triangular pediment. In the opening of the pediment is a circular window probably to have received a clock. Later weathervane to the top of the pediment. The north block is unfenestrated at second floor level and to the rear gives onto a further stable yard and the west wall of the former kitchen garden.
Largely unaltered and retains nesting holes of former dovecote to rear of central entrance.
Listed as a well-preserved example of an C18 coach house, contemporary with Trevalyn House, now Trevalyn Hospital.
Group value with Trevalyn Hospital.
Other nearby listed buildings