History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Pont Aberarth and attached abutment walls

A Grade II Listed Building in Dyffryn Arth, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2511 / 52°15'4"N

Longitude: -4.2286 / 4°13'42"W

OS Eastings: 247965

OS Northings: 263781

OS Grid: SN479637

Mapcode National: GBR DK.09RP

Mapcode Global: VH3JL.NPC4

Entry Name: Pont Aberarth and attached abutment walls

Listing Date: 23 May 1996

Last Amended: 23 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17468

Building Class: Transport

Location: Situated on A 487 in centre of village, crossing River Arth.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Dyffryn Arth

Community: Dyffryn Arth

Locality: Aberarth

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Aberaeron

Exterior

History: Dated 1849 and probably built to the designs of Thomas Penson of Oswestry or his son R.K. Penson. The former bridge was destroyed by flood in 1846. A Mr Penson estimated the cost of two schemes in 1846 but it is not clear whose was the design. In 1851 in a dispute over payments the builder, David Morris, claimed that the requirements of R.K. Penson increased the costs. The clerk-of-works was David Howells.

Description: Broad single-arched bridge in tooled squared dark-grey stone. Arch with prominent raised rusticated rock-faced voussoirs and keystone. Raised rock-faced slightly cambered band under parapet. Raised angle piers. Parapet with flat coping, 1849 datestone on S side. Also included in listing are the high rubble stone revetment wall running SE to Bryndewi from W end, the sloping abutment running N from W end, and a short length running N from E end with brick arch for leat overflow from Y Glyn Factory. A date of 1912 on this section may refer to repairs.

A large well-designed cut-stone bridge of unusual scale and quality. The bridge is one of a small 1number of high quality bridges designed by the Pensons in the parish including Pont Dyffryn by T. Penson 1847, Pont Pennant by R.K. Penson 1850, Pont Rhydsaeson and Pont Glanbran.

Reference: Carmarthen Journal 23/10/1846
Pembrokeshire Herald 10/1/1851

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Alicia
    Situated just SW of Aberarth Bridge on S side of main road, A 487.
  • II Telephone Call-box (01545 570241)
    Situated on W bank of the river Arth, just E of Delfan.
  • II Delfan
    Situated some 30m down lane from A 487 to Bethel Chapel, on W side, facing N.
  • II Y Glyn Factory
    Situated to SE of Aberarth Bridge, behind Y Glyn.
  • II Laura
    Situated on E side of A 487, just NE of Aberarth Bridge.
  • II Laura House
    Situated on E side of A 487, just NE of Aberarth Bridge.
  • II Bryndewi
    Situated by river Arth just SE of Pont Aberarth, facing NW over corner of minor lane to Llanddewi Ab
  • II Felin Aberarth
    Situated on E bank of Arth, on E side of lane running N from E end of Aberarth Bridge.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.