This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2467 / 52°14'48"N
Longitude: -4.2328 / 4°13'58"W
OS Eastings: 247662
OS Northings: 263294
OS Grid: SN476632
Mapcode National: GBR DK.0NPZ
Mapcode Global: VH3JL.LS4K
Entry Name: Church of St David
Listing Date: 3 June 1964
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source ID: 17486
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on hilltop some 0.9 km SSW of Aberarth.
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Community: Dyffryn Arth
Locality: Llanddewi Aberarth
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Medieval parish church, rebuilt except for tower in 1860 by David Williams of Llanon, restored 1883 and 1931. 1931 new roof by W. Ellery Anderson of Cheltenham. In the churchyard are buried the Rev. A.T.J. Gwynne (d1819) and his wife (d1830), the founders of Aberaeron.
Rubble stone with slate roof. W tower, Nave and chancel under single roof, rendered on S side. Tower is probably C15, square, slightly battered with beach-stone corbels and embattled parapet. Simple slot openings to belfry, cambered head to W door with stone voussoirs. A canted piece of stonework linking N side to nave N wall is medieval, containing stairs from nave to tower. The rest of the building is plain, dated 1860 on plaque S of tower. Windows are plain lancets with stone voussoirs, with 1931 leaded glazing. Two each side to nave, then narrowing for chancel, one window and door S, the door with 1931 leaded pointed overlight. Broad pointed E window and one window to chancel N. E end gable coping of 1931, with signs that roof was raised.
Pointed stone vault to tower. Plain plastered walls with plain pointed chancel arch set one bay back from chancel indent. Door to tower stair raised up on N side of W end. Thin roof trusses of 1931. Small round font of 1888. 1948 E window, signed G.E.R. Smith. Some plain marble plaques to Rev D. Jones (d1801), Jane Jones of Tyglyn (d1787) and Henry Jones of Tyglyn (d1794). In porch are three small carved stones, one patterned, one with running scroll on edge and third humped and ribbed.
Included primarily for medieval tower, one of about eight in Ceredigion.
Other nearby listed buildings