This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2187 / 52°13'7"N
Longitude: -4.1682 / 4°10'5"W
OS Eastings: 251982
OS Northings: 260051
OS Grid: SN519600
Mapcode National: GBR DN.26RY
Mapcode Global: VH3JT.PHTG
Entry Name: Capel Sion
Listing Date: 23 May 1996
Last Amended: 23 May 1996
Source ID: 17525
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated towards W end of village, set back to S of by-road next to school.
Community: Ciliau Aeron
Community: Ciliau Aeron
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Independent chapel dated 1859, though the date probably refers to a refitting of the 1835 building, which is in the late Georgian lateral front tradition. The cause began c.1770. First chapel built 1775 and enlarged 1805. Renovated 1889 by Thomas Jones of Bidarren.
Roughcast lateral 4-bay front: smooth rendered plinth, raised quoins and voussoirs to round arched openings. Slate roof. Bargeboards and bracketed eaves. Two long arched windows to centre with 14/9 hornless sash windows: radiating upper glazing. Outer bays each with first floor arched window: 8/6 hornless sashes, glazing as above. Slate sills. Matching outer arched doorways, grained doors with three long panels and 6-pane radiating fanlights. Round plaque to centre inscribed: "Capel Sion Cilcennin. Adeiladwyd 1859", smooth rendered voussoirs. Rubble right end with 12-pane hornless sash to first floor, stone voussoirs. Blocked window below. Rubble left end with similar sash. Two long windows as front to painted rubble rear.
Three sided gallery, probably of 1859 with simple tall rectangular panels, moulded sill and base. Grained plain iron columns, some with boxed-in capitals. Tiered seating to gallery with doors and ramped ends. Large pulpit with central panelled canted part flanked by barley-twist newels. Outer curved short balustrades and balancing staircases: turned balusters and newels, ball-type finials. The inner newels continue as posts, bearing bracketed oil lamps. Round arched plaster surround behind pulpit with consoles. Big Seat with panelled sides and end doors. Box-type Deacon's pews flanking pulpit with doors. Inner lobbies with coloured glass to marginal glazing. C20 ceiling and central rose, also C20 freestanding pine pews.
Well-preserved late Georgian chapel in attractive village setting.
Other nearby listed buildings