History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

The Old Vicarage

A Grade II Listed Building in Ciliau Aeron, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.2205 / 52°13'13"N

Longitude: -4.1667 / 4°10'0"W

OS Eastings: 252088

OS Northings: 260242

OS Grid: SN520602

Mapcode National: GBR DN.273K

Mapcode Global: VH3JT.QGL4

Entry Name: The Old Vicarage

Listing Date: 23 May 1996

Last Amended: 23 May 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17529

Building Class: Domestic

Location: Situated on E side of by-road on N side of village.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Ciliau Aeron

Community: Ciliau Aeron

Locality: Cilcennin

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Cilcennin

History

Built 1865 in Regency style by Charles Davies of Cenarth, architect. The foundation stone was laid by Mrs Saunders of Ty Mawr.

Exterior

Smooth rendered elevations, hipped slate roofs to house and rear wing, broad eaves. Rendered end chimney stacks, also to wing. Three bay front with 12-pane hornless sash windows to first floor. Ground floor with wide tripartite sash to each outer bay with 4:12:4 pane glazing. Semi circular headed niche to ground floor centre.

Six-pane sash window to left end, lighting basement. Rear wing contains entry. Two upper 12-pane sashes as front. Rectangular timber porch to left with moulded cornice and central half-glazed door with round arched lights: round arched window each side and two to both side elevations. Four overlights to front and two each side, renewed 24-pane sash to right.

Reasons for Listing

Well-preserved former vicarage of 1865 retaining its late Georgian character. Good village setting.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Glendower
    Terraced row situated on N side of village, stepped up steep slope and abutting rear of the Commerci
  • II Attached Cottage to S of Glendower
    Terraced row situated on N side of village, stepped up steep slope and abutting rear of the Commerci
  • II The Commercial Inn
    Situated in village centre, E of church.
  • II Capel Sion
    Situated towards W end of village, set back to S of by-road next to school.
  • II Ty Mawr
    Reached at end of short drive off by-road, approximately 1km SW of Cilcennin.
  • II Entrance Gates to Ty Mawr
    Situated on E side of by-road, approximately 1km SW of Cilcennin.
  • II Orfa-ddu
    Situated immediately E of staggered cross-junction of minor roads, 0.5km N of Cilcennin.
  • II Pont Newydd
    Bridge carries Ciliau Aeron-Cilcennin by-road over River Aeron. 0.8km NE of Ciliau Aeron.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.