History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Caersws bridge

A Grade II Listed Building in Caersws, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5148 / 52°30'53"N

Longitude: -3.4273 / 3°25'38"W

OS Eastings: 303237

OS Northings: 291720

OS Grid: SO032917

Mapcode National: GBR 9M.GQTQ

Mapcode Global: VH687.J2Z0

Entry Name: Caersws bridge

Listing Date: 5 November 1996

Last Amended: 5 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17546

Building Class: Transport

Location: The bridge carries the A.489 Newtown to Machynlleth Road over the River Severn immediately at the S end of the village.

County: Powys

Community: Caersws (Caers┼Ás)

Community: Caersws

Built-Up Area: Caersws

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Caersws

History

The present bridge was built for the First District Turnpike by Thomas Penson, the Montgomeryshire Turnpike and County Roads Surveyor, in c.1821 to replace an earlier 2-arch stone bridge, then found to be in poor condition.

Exterior

Built of local stone, of three unequal elliptical arches, with one ring of V-jointed voussoirs set slightly forward, with central keystone, set on 2 water piers with pointed cutwaters upstream. Square string course following the cambered carriageway, and 3-course parapets with through stones projecting and rock-faced each side, with flush copings, possibly of later date when the breakwaters on the upstream side were added, ?1843. The outer ends of the bridge are splayed to terminal piers.
Fourteen tie bars with ribbed iron terminal plates added to strengthen the bridge later. Penstrowed stone breakwaters were added in the river bed later.

Reasons for Listing

Included as a well preserved major county bridge by the eminent surveyor Thomas Penson, and a good and well detailed example of a masonry bridge.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Dol-aethnen
    Located at the end of Market Lane, beyond the cattle market, on the bank of the wider River Severn b
  • II Signal Box at Caersws Railway Station
    Located on the W edge of Caersws village, beside the level crossing, and with attached railway stati
  • II Caersws Railway Station, with Stationmaster's House
    The railway passes to the W of the village. The station lies immediately N of the level crossing, an
  • II Engine Shed to the Van Line
    The building, now used as a store, is located in the industrial yard, some 80m W of the present rai
  • II Llys Maldwyn Hospital
    The Hospital is located at the end of Main Street, approximately 1km NE of the centre of the village
  • II* Maesmawr Hall Hotel
    The hotel is located in the Severn valley bottom, at the end of a formal axial drive off the main Ne
  • II Pen-y-borfa fawr
    Located approximately 1Km N of Caersws village, with its gable end to the road.
  • II Porth-gwibedyn
    Located on the first terrace above the Severn valley, 1.5km SE of Caersws.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.