History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Milestone S of Weig Lane

A Grade II Listed Building in Caersws, Powys

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.5249 / 52°31'29"N

Longitude: -3.4477 / 3°26'51"W

OS Eastings: 301874

OS Northings: 292877

OS Grid: SO018928

Mapcode National: GBR 9L.G5S8

Mapcode Global: VH681.6S5S

Entry Name: Milestone S of Weig Lane

Listing Date: 5 November 1996

Last Amended: 5 November 1996

Grade: II

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17548

Building Class: Transport

Location: Located in the road verge, approximately 30m S of the junction with Wig Lane at Weig Lane railway crossing.

County: Powys

Community: Caersws (Caers┼Ás)

Community: Caersws

Traditional County: Montgomeryshire

Find accommodation in
Caersws

History

The Newtown to Machynlleth road was managed by the First Division Turnpike Trust, established in 1779, and again in 1783. This section of the turnpike road appears to have been marked out with mile stones after the alteration of the route from Aberhafesp to that through Caersws.

Exterior

A square sandstone pillar with a gabled top, elegantly inscribed on the face, NEWT / 7 / MACH / 21.

Reasons for Listing

A square sandstone pillar with a gabled top, elegantly inscribed on the face, NEWT / 7 / MACH / 21.

Other nearby listed buildings

  • II Wig Bridge
    Located on Wig Lane, which connects the main A.470 Caersws to Machynlleth road to the B4569 from Caersws to Trefeglwys, approximately 1.75Km N of Caersws centre.
  • II Pen-y-borfa fawr
    Located approximately 1Km N of Caersws village, with its gable end to the road.
  • II Milestone W of village
    The milestone is now located in the wide grass verge, 250m from the junction of the B.4568 with the main A.490 Caersws to Machynlleth road.
  • II Telephone Call-box (01686 688564)
    Located in the centre of the township, in front of the row of buildings which includes the former village post office, and opposite the churchyard boundary wall.
  • II* Church of St Gwynog/Cynog
    The church is located in a raised oval churchyard at the centre of the village of Llanwnog, which was later extended to the S to border the B.4568.
  • II Gwyneira with attached farm buildings
    The house is aligned along the road encircling the churchyard, approximately 75m from its junction with the B.4568 to Newtown, and is at the S end of a range of farm buildings.
  • II Pont-dol-goch Station and Stationmaster's House
    The railway station stands on a high bank directly north of the road bridge under the line, and is accessed from the main Caersws to Machynlleth Road, near the centre of the village.
  • II Perth-eiryn
    Located on a farm road leading S off the main Newtown to Caersws road, 300m N of the village centre.

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.