This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5313 / 52°31'52"N
Longitude: -3.4514 / 3°27'5"W
OS Eastings: 301638
OS Northings: 293593
OS Grid: SO016935
Mapcode National: GBR 9L.FQWN
Mapcode Global: VH681.4M6W
Entry Name: Milestone W of village
Listing Date: 5 November 1996
Last Amended: 5 November 1996
Source ID: 17552
Building Class: Transport
Location: The milestone is now located in the wide grass verge, 250m from the junction of the B.4568 with the main A.490 Caersws to Machynlleth road.
Community: Caersws (Caersŵs)
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The road from Newtown to Machynlleth, through Aberhafesp was included in the Second District, defined under the First Montgomeryshire Act of 1769, 'for the Repairing and Widening of ' various specified roads, and to raise tolls by means of turnpike gates. The powers were re-enacted in 1773 and at later times, and these included the power to erect stones at mile intervals. This road was superceded by the construction of the new turnpike on the S sive of the river, called the 'Long Length'.
A triangular fronted pillar of compact sandstone, erected c.1790, bearing incised lettering, roughly overpainted in black, reading, on the left face: NEWT / 7, and on the right MACH / 21. The reversal of faces indicates the milestone has been relocated from the opposite site of the road.
Included as one of the few milestones surviving from the marking out of the mile points by the Turnpike Trust.
Other nearby listed buildings