This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.5635 / 52°33'48"N
Longitude: -3.5396 / 3°32'22"W
OS Eastings: 295736
OS Northings: 297293
OS Grid: SN957972
Mapcode National: GBR 9H.CM5K
Mapcode Global: WH68R.LTPN
Entry Name: Capel Peniel
Listing Date: 12 November 1996
Last Amended: 12 November 1996
Source ID: 17572
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated at W end of Carno village, opposite road to Llanllugan and Laura Ashley factory. Set back from the road and bounded by a wall on N, E and W sides.
Built-Up Area: Carno
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
Erected 1903, replacing a chapel built here in 1811 which had been subsequently remodelled in 1842 and 1861.
Chapel with vestry/schoolroom behind. The chapel is of rock-faced, snecked stone, with ashlar dressings in yellow stone, and slate roof. Three-bay pedimented front with ball finials at the angles. Cornice is broken by the round arch of recessed central bay, which encloses a tympanum under a keyed segmental arch on brackets. The tympanum is inscribed PENIEL MC in black letters, with the date of the rebuilding (1903) around the circumference. Rusticated pilasters define the angles and the recessed central bay. The upper level has keyed oculi with stained glass in the outer bays, and in the centre a triple round-headed window with small panes and margin glazing, and a continuous sill band. Below are double round-headed windows in the outer bays, with sill bands, beneath which are commemorative tablets. In the central bay is a 6-panel door with stained glass overlight beneath a keyed round arch. The lateral walls each have four tall windows under round arches, with ashlar surrounds, and a sill band. Sash windows with margin glazing and fanlight. On the E side is a slate tablet recording the original building in 1811, probably taken from the earlier building. The rear wall is slate hung with a single window under a round head, and with ashlar quoins with chamfered joints. The vestry/schoolroom at rear is brick with a hipped slate roof. It has brick projections in the lateral walls under hipped slate roofs. End stack over a gablet. The lateral walls each have 2 windows with stone lintels and sills. Their sash windows with margin glazing match those of the chapel.
The entrance vestibule has a floor of decorative tiles and a window with margin glazing opposite the main door. To left and right are 3-panel pine doors into the chapel. The interior has no gallery, although its proportions suggest it was designed for one. The walls are faced with white concrete blocks in a dark grey mortar to simulate ashlar, and with planked wainscot. The windows have moulded rere arches with foliage capitals. Above a moulded cornice is a boarded and ribbed ceiling with 2 small roundels pierced with a 4-leaf pattern. Set fawr and pews of pine. The pulpit has a panelled front and steps on either side with turned balusters. A plaster reredos behind the pulpit has fluted columns flanking four blank arches, a foliated impost band, above which is a moulded round arch with prominent keystone and tympanum of foliage. Doors either side of the set fawr lead to the vestry/schoolroom, which is undivided.
Listed as a fine early C20 chapel in a prominent location, notable for the consistency of its detailing.
Other nearby listed buildings