This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.0414 / 52°2'28"N
Longitude: -4.4665 / 4°27'59"W
OS Eastings: 230930
OS Northings: 240978
OS Grid: SN309409
Mapcode National: GBR D7.FJRZ
Mapcode Global: VH3KF.JYKG
Entry Name: The Nag's Head including rear Outbuilding
Listing Date: 4 June 1996
Last Amended: 4 June 1996
Source ID: 17600
Building Class: Commercial
Location: Slightly set back E of B4571, in the centre of Adpar.
Community: Llandyfriog (Llandyfrïog)
Built-Up Area: Newcastle Emlyn
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Early C19 former inn. Most of the present arrangement is shown on the 1844 Tithe map, but the Apportionment does not specifically refer to the building as an inn. The main outbuildings, though shown on the map, seem to be of mid/late C19 date. Still an inn in 1926: John King, landlord.
Rubble construction. Slate roof, rubble gable chimney stacks: thicker to left. Two storey 3 bay facade, offset to right. 12-pane horned sash windows and additional 4-pane horned sash to ground floor left. Six-panel door to centre. Timber lintels.
Two small courtyards to narrow rear plot with extensive outbuildings. The lower (nearer) court is bounded on the N side by a two storey 4-bay stable block of rubble construction with slate roof and rubble stack to ridge. The block forms a mid/late C19 rear wing to the house, incorporating a back kitchen. C20 glazing to left, boarded door and small window to ground floor right: similar window above. Timber lintels. Boarded door to rear elevation (former access to loft at ground level). To the S is a low late C19 rubble service range with slate roof and 4 boarded doors having timber lintels. Low cross-range consisting of a late C19 double pigsty of rubble construction with slate roof. Two low doorways to E with timber lintels: boarded door intact to right. The range returns to the N to form a W.C. The upper court retains some stone cobbling. To the N is a late C19 stable block, which is attached to the lower stable, and is taller. Rubble built with slate roof. Two storey 4 bay front with 2 boarded doors to centre: small window each side, narrower to right. 4-pane window to first floor left, boarded door to right. Timber lintels. Paired boarded doors to rear (former access to loft at ground level). Small lofted early C20 stable to SE corner of courtyard, rubble built with red brick quoins. Divided boarded door with 3-pane overlight. Boarded door to W gable, small window below, both with brick dressings and timber lintels.
House with rough beams to ground floor rooms. Inglenook to left room with chamfered oak bressumer: inglenook to rear former kitchen with oak bressumer - both have bread ovens. Rough roof trusses partly visible, pegged joints. Sawn trusses to rear wing with iron pegs. Three bay stall to lower stable with wooden partitions and feeding racks; possibly the original ones. Two-seater toilet intact in outside W.C.
Listed as an unusually complete C19 former inn retaining service forecourts.
Other nearby listed buildings