This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.0385 / 52°2'18"N
Longitude: -4.3674 / 4°22'2"W
OS Eastings: 237720
OS Northings: 240430
OS Grid: SN377404
Mapcode National: GBR DC.FRCV
Mapcode Global: VH3KP.8104
Entry Name: The Old Rectory
Listing Date: 4 June 1996
Last Amended: 4 June 1996
Source ID: 17602
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on S side of by-road 40m E of entrance to Bangor Teifi church.
Community: Llandyfriog (Llandyfrïog)
Locality: Bangor Teifi
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Built c1857 in the late Georgian style. No buildings were on the site in 1842 (Tithe map): the previous rectory was situated W of Gilfachronw. The Bishop of St Davids gave £100 towards the building of a new rectory on a new site in 1857 and £20 towards the recently restored church. Now a private house.
Stuccoed painted front. Hipped slate roof with paired brackets to wide eaves. Broad rubble end chimney stacks with stone tabling. Three bay 2-storey facade with 12-pane hornless sashes (slightly narrower to first floor): stone sills. Late C19 timber porch to centre with moulded cornice upon paired brackets, stop-chamfered posts with trellising around entry: diagonal boarding to sides. Inner 6-panel door with 2-pane overlight.
Left side with two 12-pane hornless sashes to first floor. Colourwashed rubble right elevation with 2-pane basement window, sash as above to each floor. Rear with wing to left and tall 8/6 staircase sash window near centre. Small 6-pane sash to right, 12-pane hornless sash to extreme right. Six-pane casement to first floor.
Lower colourwashed rubble two storey rear wing with two bay E front. Gabled open timber porch to left with 4-panel half-glazed door. Twelve pane sash to right with cambered stone voussoired head. First floor with 6/3 hornless sash rising to eaves.
Dog-leg staircase with stick balusters and scrolled tread ends, still in the early C19 tradition. Four panel doors. Inglenook to rear wing with timber lintel and bread oven.
Listed as well preserved former rectory in attractive rural setting.
Other nearby listed buildings