This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 51.7874 / 51°47'14"N
Longitude: -3.0176 / 3°1'3"W
OS Eastings: 329903
OS Northings: 210351
OS Grid: SO299103
Mapcode National: GBR F5.YQ39
Mapcode Global: VH79D.NB1M
Entry Name: Morgans Bridge ( Canal Bridge no 90 )
Listing Date: 15 March 1996
Last Amended: 15 March 1996
Source ID: 17644
Building Class: Transport
Location: Spanning the canal uphill and to south-west of Llanellen village, approximately 0.5km south of bridge No 92.
Community: Llanfoist Fawr (Llan-ffwyst Fawr)
Community: Llanfoist Fawr
Built-Up Area: Llanellen
Traditional County: Monmouthshire
History: The Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal was promoted in 1792 to connect the upper Usk valley to the Monmouthshire Canal at Pontymoile and from there to the sea at Newport. Construction began in 1797, with Thomas Dadford as engineer, and the first section, from Gilwern to Llangynidr was completed in that year with the stretch as far as Brecon following in 1800. Work then stopped for a time with the result that the section to the Blaenavon Road east of Govilon was not completed until 1805, now with Thomas Cartwright as engineer. Further funds had to be raised and the last section from west of Llanfoist to Pontymoile was completed between 1809 and 1812, with William Crosley as engineer. Linked to tramroads, the canal was an important artery for trade in iron, lime and coal. In 1865 the Monmouthshire and the Brecknock and Abergavenny Canal Companies merged becoming the Monmouthshire and Brecon Canal Company. Later still the canal was bought out by the Great Western Railway and gradually the canal was run down until it was finally abandoned in 1962. Restoration work was begun in 1964.
Description: This bridge (No 90) lies within the section constructed by William Crosley between 1809 and 1812. Coursed rubble canal bridge spanning canal and tow-path to east. Segmental arch has keystone and the parapet is curved around at the downhill end.
Included for its special interest as one of the surviving early C19 Brecknock and Abergavenny canal bridges.
References: Nicholson's guides to the Waterways, vol 3, South-west
R A Stevens, Brecknock & Abergavenny and Monmouthshire Canals (Towpath Guide No 2), (Cambridge, 1974), p49-55.
Other nearby listed buildings