This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0884 / 53°5'18"N
Longitude: -2.9777 / 2°58'39"W
OS Eastings: 334617
OS Northings: 355021
OS Grid: SJ346550
Mapcode National: GBR 76.9H5V
Mapcode Global: WH88S.7M9Q
Entry Name: Achill
Listing Date: 7 June 1963
Last Amended: 3 June 1996
Source ID: 17661
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to the N of All Saints Church
Community: Gresford (Gresffordd)
Built-Up Area: Gresford
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Former school founded by Margaret Strode, daughter of Col. John Roberts of Gwersyllt; she left a bequest of £500 for the education of 3 poor boys and 3 poor girls. The building was erected in 1725 and an additional schoolroom was built to the rear in 1838 at a cost of £607 10s. C18 panelling which is said to have come from All Saints Church was used to make a dado in this room. The almshouses were also built in 1725 adjoining the school. They were built under the direction of Dr Robert Wynne chancellor of the diocese and vicar at Gresford for 53 years. The building is now 3 separate properties; the ranges at each end are private houses, that to the left probably extended, and the central section is used as church meeting rooms.
The schoolroom in the rear extension has an exposed timber roof and a dado formed from panelling of C18 character. remainder of interior not accessible at time of 1995 survey.
Listed as an example of a C18 school and almshouses with original plaques recording the date of foundation. Group value with All Saints Church and with graveyard walls and gatepiers to All Saints Graveyard.
Other nearby listed buildings