This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 53.0883 / 53°5'17"N
Longitude: -2.9806 / 2°58'50"W
OS Eastings: 334420
OS Northings: 355013
OS Grid: SJ344550
Mapcode National: GBR 76.9GGN
Mapcode Global: WH88S.5MXT
Entry Name: Stables at Cedar House
Listing Date: 3 June 1996
Last Amended: 3 June 1996
Source ID: 17675
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated to the rear of Cedar House and linked to it by a brick screen wall.
Community: Gresford (Gresffordd)
Built-Up Area: Gresford
Traditional County: Denbighshire
Built as part of the vicarage in 1850 by Thomas Jones, architect of Chester; Jones's nephew Edward Hodkinson supervised the building work which was undertaken for Vicar Wickham following the sale of the earlier vicarage. The buildings show signs of alteration and were restored late C20.
The design incorporates Tudor Gothic elements and is stylistically related to the Old Vicarage building though treated in a simpler manner. Brick with slate roof, brick chimney, 2 storeys. Symmetrical front elevation: central bay has a Tudor arched carriage opening with wooden doors, there is a small window on each side at ground floor level. Above the entrance arch is a gablet with kneelers and a chimney rising immediately behind this. On each side ranges are set at an angle, that to the left for carriages, that to the right for stabling. Doors within the entrance arch lead to ostler`s accommodation on one side and a single stable on the other.
The ostler's room is heated with a small fireplace. Carriage accommodation has been altered, stables contain 4 wooden stalls and cast-iron hay baskets. Floors have been repaired, lofts have simple kingpost roofs with some C17/C18 reused timbers.
Included for group value with Cedar House as a good example of a mid C19 stable block retaining some original features.
Listed as a good example of a mid C19 stable block which retains some original features.
Other nearby listed buildings