This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1916 / 52°11'29"N
Longitude: -4.3 / 4°17'59"W
OS Eastings: 242883
OS Northings: 257310
OS Grid: SN428573
Mapcode National: GBR DG.442K
Mapcode Global: VH3JY.F54R
Entry Name: Fronwen Uchaf
Listing Date: 16 February 1996
Last Amended: 16 February 1996
Source ID: 17728
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated some 500m SE of Llanarth, down lane running SE from B4342 Oakford road from junction just E of Fronwen Chapel.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Previously known as Fronwen. Circa 1800 gentry house, probably built for John Jordan Jones and owned by successive owners of same name (recorded in 1815, 1840 and 1926). A Walter Thomas of Vronwen (d1790) is commemorated in Llanarth churchyard, and a J.J. Jones (1840-1916).
Whitewashed roughcast with slate roof, timber modillion eaves cornice and stone end stacks, larger to right. Two-storey, long three-window range, with small 4-pane sashes above, and ground floor C19 canted bay to left, centre half-glazed door with radiating-bar fanlight and C20 16-pane window to right, replacing sash. Left end wall has 9-pane window to left and 4-pane to first floor. Attached to right is lower 2-storey service range, hipped to right with very large stone end stack. Casement pair above, long C20 window below. C20 hipped addition on end wall. Rear has rubble stone hipped two-storey outshut with gabled centre stair tower, with C20 window. C20 added block obscures centre and right of outshut.
Ground floor right room has heavy fireplace beam and one ceiling beam. 6-panel doors. Entrance hall has fluted ceiling border and panelled shallow arch. Left room has moulded ceiling border with lion masks. Dog-leg stairs in four flights, with stick balusters and turned newels. 6-panel doors to first floor and reeded ceiling borders here and in bedrooms. Plaster 3-side roof over stair head with small plaster rose. Oak collar trusses with scarfed feet to 6-bay roof.
A good example of a smaller gentry house of c1800.
Other nearby listed buildings