This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.2065 / 52°12'23"N
Longitude: -4.3272 / 4°19'37"W
OS Eastings: 241075
OS Northings: 259030
OS Grid: SN410590
Mapcode National: GBR DF.33BL
Mapcode Global: VH3JQ.YS7V
Entry Name: Y Wern Independent Chapel
Listing Date: 16 February 1996
Last Amended: 16 February 1996
Source ID: 17730
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated to N of Gilfachreda, on back lane from Cei Bach to A 487, on corner of smaller lane down into Gilfachreda.
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
1851 Independent Chapel, founded as a branch of Penrhiwgaled, near Synod Inn.
Unpainted stucco, lined as ashlar, with slate roof and bracketed eaves. Lateral facade with raised quoins, arched small-paned windows with radiating-bar heads and doors with traceried overlights. Two long centre windows, two slightly shorter outer gallery windows over two 4-panel doors with traceried overlights. All windows in raised surrounds with incised voussoirs. Similar raised heads with incised voussoir lines over doors. Slate plinth.
Vestry attached to l. end with lean-to porch to first floor room, and blocked coach-entry in end wall.
Forecourt has cobbled centre triangular strip, low rubble outer walls with spearhead iron rails and dog-bars. Two square stone gatepiers, pyramid-capped with ball finials and matching spearhead iron gates.
Attractive interior with white-painted 3-sided gallery with pierced iron panels. Pilasters with rosettes between panels. Box pews, grained outside, painted inside. Curved panelled great seat. Canted pulpit front with fretwork panels. Globe gas lights. Plaster ceiling with centre rose.
A well-preserved late Georgian style chapel with attractive interior, still with the box-pews of the earlier chapels.
Other nearby listed buildings