This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 52.2223 / 52°13'20"N
Longitude: -4.2734 / 4°16'24"W
OS Eastings: 244805
OS Northings: 260667
OS Grid: SN448606
Mapcode National: GBR DH.24NG
Mapcode Global: VH3JR.WD5R
Entry Name: Ffos-y-ffin Chapel
Listing Date: 21 February 1996
Last Amended: 21 February 1996
Source ID: 17748
Building Class: Religious, Ritual and Funerary
Location: Situated on W side of A 487 in Ffos-y-ffin, set back in courtyard flanked by later chapel house and 1927 vestry.
Built-Up Area: Henfynyw
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Calvinistic Methodist chapel of 1831 with contemporary interior except for later pulpit.
Unpainted roughcast with slate roof. Lateral facade with two large centre windows, plain outer doors and 12-pane upper gallery lights, all with plain cement heads. Centre windows are arch-headed with small-paned glazing and intersecting tracery in heads. Doors are double, 2-panel. End walls have a 16-pane sash.
No galleries; panelled box pews, grained in pale wood colour, arranged around 5-sided passage, those behind raked, and small block of pews facing pulpit and two rows left and right of pulpit. Great seat simply benches on fronts of three blocks of pews around pulpit. Later pulpit with steps up one side, curved angles and 2-panel front. Small boarded lobbies in corners. Plastered walls and flat ceiling.
A remarkable survivor of an earlier C19 chapel, with pew arrangement in tightly packed radiating fashion, seen also at Bethel Chapel, Aberarth.
Other nearby listed buildings