This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.3938 / 52°23'37"N
Longitude: -3.4762 / 3°28'34"W
OS Eastings: 299648
OS Northings: 278336
OS Grid: SN996783
Mapcode National: GBR 9K.QBSQ
Mapcode Global: VH5CB.P3N7
Entry Name: Garth-fach
Listing Date: 26 November 1996
Last Amended: 26 November 1996
Source ID: 17784
Building Class: Domestic
Location: The farmhouse is located in an elevated position at the far S end of the Community and County.
Traditional County: Montgomeryshire
The farmhouse, which at one time belonged to University College, Oxford, was probably built in the C18 during the opening up of the uplands to agriculture, and was modernised c.1870-80. The plan has an entrance to a central stair, flanked either side by a kitchen and parlour, and a contemporary back wing originally containing the dairy. The house is extended to the SE by a lower outbuilding.
Whitewashed stonework with slate roofs, the NW wall rebuilt in brick made by the Park Brick Co. of Newtown. One storey and attic, later raised to 2 full storeys. Central 4-panelled door, the upper panels glazed, within moulded frame. Sliding sash paned windows, one replaced c. 1940.
Stair rises in a straight flight from the front door, which possibly replaced an earlier entrance against the principal gable stack. Chamfered spine beams with ogee stops. The rear service room, which once had a large stack and well in the corner, is divided off from the front range by a timber framed wall.
Included as a good, well preserved example of an C18 farmhouse in the upland zone.