This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.1881 / 52°11'17"N
Longitude: -4.0765 / 4°4'35"W
OS Eastings: 258148
OS Northings: 256464
OS Grid: SN581564
Mapcode National: GBR DR.4CHW
Mapcode Global: VH4GJ.989F
Entry Name: Tynant
Listing Date: 26 November 1996
Last Amended: 26 November 1996
Source ID: 17800
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Situated on S side of Abermeurig-Llwynygroes road some 450m W of turning to Gartheli church.
Community: Nantcwnlle (Nancwnlle)
Traditional County: Cardiganshire
Early C19 with possibly earlier core, raised in mid C19. The lower storey is in stone, and runs markedly downhill, a characteristic of C18 to early C19 single storey houses in the area. The upper floor is cob, with the eaves line following the slope, but with the larger windows vertically-aligned following polite building practice. The roof is of the lower pitch typical of the C19. Marked on 1845 Gartheli Tithe Map as Tynant Cottages owned by William Lloyd of Trefynor Isaf.
Colourwashed rubble stone and cob with slate roof, flat boarded eaves and brick stacks, at original end walls, but building has been extended by one bay to left. Two-storey, five-window range, but the bays irregularly spaced and all the window heads stepping down to follow line of slope from W to E. Rubble stone ground floor and cob upper floor. Near-central door flanked by 12-pane sash each side, but set closer to right. Timber lintels, ledged door and timber trellis porch. The outer windows of the ground floor are casement pairs with timber lintels, spaced far from the inner sashes, to give a relatively long facade. Above each inner window is a 9-pane casement, under eaves. Lean-to on W end. Addition on E end with rendered wall and one first floor front 9-pane casement.
Listed as the best example in the area of the use of cob or clom for raising earlier buildings, and of special interest for the combination of vernacular and polite building styles.
Other nearby listed buildings