This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.0933 / 53°5'35"N
Longitude: -3.8175 / 3°49'3"W
OS Eastings: 278388
OS Northings: 356660
OS Grid: SH783566
Mapcode National: GBR 63.93EQ
Mapcode Global: WH663.BHDZ
Entry Name: Milestone
Listing Date: 30 May 1996
Last Amended: 30 May 1996
Source ID: 17829
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located on the N side of the main trunk road (A 5) at the western approach to Bettws-y-Coed, some 500m from the centre; set against a (later) rubble wall.
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
History: Milestone erected c.1815 as part of Thomas Telford's new London to Holyhead road improvements, currently the A5.
Description: Tapered stone milestone of obelisk type, with chamfered edges and triangular head. Inset cast iron plaque to upper section with, in raised letters: `Holyhead 44, C. Curig 4M-5F, Gernioge 9M -6F,' (for miles and furlongs); no foundry marks visible.
Listed for its special historical interest as one of the original Telford milestones to the London to Holyhead road (now the A 5).
Other nearby listed buildings