This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.
Latitude: 53.101 / 53°6'3"N
Longitude: -3.836 / 3°50'9"W
OS Eastings: 277173
OS Northings: 357554
OS Grid: SH771575
Mapcode National: GBR 62.8QN5
Mapcode Global: WH663.1BM1
Entry Name: Milestone
Listing Date: 30 May 1996
Last Amended: 30 May 1996
Source ID: 17833
Building Class: Transport
Location: Located on the N side of the main trunk road (A5) at the western approach to Bettws-y-Coed, some 500m E of the Swallow Falls Hotel; set against a (later) rubble wall.
Locality: Swallow Falls
Traditional County: Caernarfonshire
History: Milestone erected c.1815 as part of Thomas Telford's new London to Holyhead road improvements, currently the A5.
Description: Tapered stone milestone of obelisk type, with chamfered edges and triangular head. Inset cast iron plaque to upper section with, in raised letters: `Holyhead 43, C. Curig 3M-5F, Gernioge 10M -6F,' (for miles and furlongs); no foundry marks visible. Later bench mark inscribed below plaque.
Listed for its special historical interest as one of the original Telford milestones to the London to Holyhead road (now the A 5).
Other nearby listed buildings