This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 52.7983 / 52°47'53"N
Longitude: -4.4716 / 4°28'17"W
OS Eastings: 233460
OS Northings: 325169
OS Grid: SH334251
Mapcode National: GBR 58.WL7M
Mapcode Global: WH44W.8XWM
Entry Name: Former Keepers' Accommodation at St Tudwal's Lighthouse
Listing Date: 29 March 1996
Last Amended: 1 April 1998
Source ID: 17929
Building Class: Domestic
Location: Adjacent to the lighthouse at the upper end of the island.
Locality: St Tudwals West Island
The lighthouse was erected in 1877 to mark the N end of Cardigan Bay. The keepers accommodation is contemporary with it. It is now disused.
Contemporary with the tower, and laid out in relation to it. Smooth render over stone or brick, with flat roof, unmoulded cornice and blocking course. Symmetrically laid out, with central entrance facing W (and blocked rear entrance). W elevation has central square porch with plain cornice and blocking course, and doorways in either side. 2 flanking windows to either side are 8-pane sashes (some now boarded over); similar 3-window return elevations. The building is built into the slope, and the rear elevation is partly below ground level, accessed by a narrow walkway: blocked central entrance, and an asymmetrical disposition of openings, with outer doorway and flanking window to the right, outer and central doors in left, with flanking windows.
Listed as a significant part of the lighthouse complex, forming a coherent group with the tower.
Other nearby listed buildings