History in Structure

This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.

Felin Geri

A Grade II* Listed Building in Beulah, Ceredigion

Approximate Location Map
Large Map »
Street View
Contributor Photos »

Street View is the best available vantage point looking, if possible, towards the location of the building. In some locations, Street View may not give a view of the actual building, or may not be available at all. Where it is not available, the satellite view is shown instead.

Coordinates

Latitude: 52.053 / 52°3'10"N

Longitude: -4.4802 / 4°28'48"W

OS Eastings: 230040

OS Northings: 242306

OS Grid: SN300423

Mapcode National: GBR D7.DTL9

Mapcode Global: VH3KF.9NCJ

Entry Name: Felin Geri

Listing Date: 15 March 1996

Last Amended: 15 March 1996

Grade: II*

Source: Cadw

Source ID: 17953

Building Class: Industrial

Location: Situated about 1 km E of Cwm Cou, in Ceri valley, on S side of lane.

County: Ceredigion

Community: Beulah

Locality: Cwm Cou

Traditional County: Cardiganshire

Find accommodation in
Newcastle Emlyn

History

Small C18 working water-powered corn-mill, altered or rebuilt 1805 and re-equipped in 1870s. Restored from dereliction 1972-5. A mill is recorded in 1610, and was part of the Lloyd of Cilgwyn estate. The mill was repaired and enlarged in 1805 by Thomas Lloyd and Admiral Richard Braithwaite. It appears to have remained with the Lloyd family after Cilgwyn was left to Braithwaite's descendants (Fitzwilliams), as Thomas Lloyd was owner 1841 and T. Lloyd of Plasybridell gave a lease in 1879 to D. Jones, conditional on repairing and modernising mill and machinery. But new wheel is said to be of 1872 with another of 1880s and Fitzwilliams of Cilgwyn to have sold the mill to D. Jones, tenant, in early C20 (guidebook). In 1972-5 work some of the structure was taken down and rebuilt, with the original stones numbered, the roof was restressed, attic floor replaced, stones redressed and wheel repaired.

Exterior

Rubble stone with slate roof. two storeys and loft. Front has two windows to first floor, offset to right, with stone voussiors and keystones. C20 glazing left, 9-pane casement right. Plaque RB TLL Esqrs 1805 above left window. Door with timber lintel to ground floor right. Left end has two large overshot waterwheels in parallel, by S. F. Kelly of Bridgend Foundry, Cardigan, one, pitchback, said to be of 1872, the other of 1880s, to run a saw-mill. First floor and attic have 4-pane window. Right end wall has small attic window and ground floor window. Rear has various blocked openings and two small first floor windows. Sawmill is a large open shed with corrugated-iron roof.

Interior

Oak main beams and joists, two oak collar trusses in roof. Complete later C19 mill machinery: pit-wheel turning wallower on line-shaft with two spur-wheels turning stone-nuts to first floor two millstones. On first floor also a bolter for grading flour, at right end. Loft with sack hoist and hoppers.

Reasons for Listing

Listed as one of the best-preserved working flour mills in the region.

Other nearby listed buildings

BritishListedBuildings.co.uk is an independent online resource and is not associated with any government department. All government data published here is used under licence. Please do not contact BritishListedBuildings.co.uk for any queries related to any individual listed building, planning permission related to listed buildings or the listing process itself.

British Listed Buildings is a Good Stuff website.