This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.5986 / 51°35'54"N
Longitude: -4.9366 / 4°56'11"W
OS Eastings: 196711
OS Northings: 192945
OS Grid: SR967929
Mapcode National: GBR G8.K1T6
Mapcode Global: VH1SL.D22V
Entry Name: St. Govan's Well
Listing Date: 8 February 1996
Last Amended: 8 February 1996
Source ID: 17981
Building Class: Water Supply and Drainage
Community: Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin)
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
About 25 m S of St Govan's chapel, reached by a flight of rough steps.
Famous together with St Govan's chapel for cures of lameness and eye disease. It was fed by a spring but had been dry for many years when described in 1925.
The well itself is a short shaft about 0.7 by 0.8 m. Wellhead building approximately square with an opening to the N side spanned by a stone lintel. Rough corbelled top sloping to S, E and W but rising to a rounded gable at N, very much restored.
Also a boulder retaining-wall at N side of the well.
Listed for historic interest and group value with St Govan's Chapel.
References: RCAHM Inventory (1925) 22
Fenton, Historical Tour through Pembrokeshire 181 1 ( 1903 ed) 415.
F Jones, The Holy Wells of Wales ( 19 4) 208
Dyfed Arch. Trust S&M PRN 1268