This site is entirely user-supported. See how you can help.
Latitude: 51.6275 / 51°37'38"N
Longitude: -4.9242 / 4°55'27"W
OS Eastings: 197702
OS Northings: 196123
OS Grid: SR977961
Mapcode National: GBR G8.HK2D
Mapcode Global: VH1SD.LCN7
Entry Name: Brewery
Listing Date: 8 February 1996
Last Amended: 8 February 1996
Source ID: 17990
Building Class: Industrial
Community: Stackpole and Castlemartin (Stackpole a Chastellmartin)
Locality: Stackpole Court
Traditional County: Pembrokeshire
At S end of the site of Stackpole Court, reached via gateway and private garden.
Designed by Henry Ashton, architect, in 1843. One of a set of buildings constructed around a pre-existing game-larder, on a site at two main levels. Formerly an important part of the service arrangements of Stackpole Court, now preserved and exhibited by the National Trust.
At low level at E is the Brewhouse Court with the entrance to the brewery.
Exterior: Limestone ashlar. Three tall louvred window openings to W, two to E. Low pitched slate roof with hipped end at N. Plinth of a lost ventilator at centre.
Interior: The chimney shared with the Dairymaid's house has one flue from the copper and a central steam vent. In this building was a complete small brewery, with copper, mash tun, and coolers. The copper and mash tun survive in situ, but the coolers are gone. A high-level walkway above the main door for access to the copper survives, carried on cast iron brackets. The beer was pumped from the brewery to the cellars of the house.
Listed II* as a rare mid-Cl9 country-house brewery retaining its equipment. Listed also for group value with the other survivals of the Stackpole Court buildings.
Reference: NT (Stackpole) information.
Other nearby listed buildings